Monday, July 6, 2009

Did I Go Too Far?

Alright, here's the situation.

I went to the grocery store and saw a new mom pushing her cart with what was obviously a new born in a car seat (so cute!). As I glanced over - or gawked is more like it, was Jack really that tiny!? - I noticed that the baby was sucking on a bottle that only had water in it. Tim and I had heard a story about a baby that died from too much water in his formula (water intoxication) so I became very alarmed.

I debated with myself whether to say anything to this new mom. I felt so nosy, but decided I wanted to stand up on their behalf and perhaps help out a little (maybe even save a life, in my mind). So, I politely went up to her, asked the babies age, and quickly said, "Did you know babies aren't supposed to have water?"

She told me her doctor told her to give it to him because it keeps babies hydrated and helps with digestion.

What?

As far as I know breastmilk/formula hydrates just fine. But digestion? Never heard that before.

Has anyone else?

Now I'm sitting at home feeling stupid about approaching this girl (I really dislike talking to strangers) and also worried about this baby who was very very cute... and tiny!

4 comments:

  1. I'm a friend of Kelsey's, and I found your blog through hers.

    NO, you did not go too far!! Our pediatrician has specifically told us not to give our daughter water, even when she was having trouble with digestion. Breastmilk/formula is enough!

    I once helped a little boy--he was around two--off of a rocking chair he was standing on in a store, and the mother huffed over glaring at me, said "Thank you," very sarcastically, and stormed out of the shop. Hopefully, what you said might prompt the mom you talked to will at least think twice and read up a bit before giving her baby water again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to a couple things I just read, some water can apparently help formula-fed babies who are constipated. That's probably what she meant.

    But I think you did a fine thing. Balance feeling a little silly for giving apparently useless advice against the possibility of, as you said, maybe saving a life. And good for you for overcoming your fear of talking to strangers to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I'm on the same side as you, Leah. I have read that babies under 6 months shouldn't be given water. Something about it dilutes things in the blood and strains their kidneys...? You were just thinking about the well-being of the baby, and it was okay to assume the mom might not be well-informed. Not all moms are scouring WebMD and BabyCenter for info like we are! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. no i don't think so, water can be very dangerous for babies and most people do not realize that because water is isotropic and it can mess up their electrolytes, there might have been some reaason the md told her to, depending on the babies blood but for the most part that is s huge no, i got so upset when dominic was 2 mos and one of martins friends were watching him for just a short time i told them not to feed him i would be back before he is do, well i guess he was sucking and they gave him a bottle of water since i said not to feed him, that is when i decided never to let anyone else watch him, hello sucking is natual thay is why they have pacifiers.

    ReplyDelete