Monday, May 18, 2009

What a Weekend!

The past three or four days have been packed with activity between my graduation rehearsal, barbecue, and ceremony (finally!) and Jack's Dedication. My parents flew in for all of these events. They walked out the door thirty minutes ago to catch their plane back home. I had to put Jack down for a nap right after they left and I instantly felt lonely! It was wonderful to have them here and I'm excited to be flying out to visit them in less than a month for my sister's high school graduation. That'll be another crazy adventure - flying alone with Jack. Oh my goodness...

While it was amazing to walk across the stage, see my friends, and experience such pride in the hard work we all accomplished receiving our degrees, the highlight of my weekend was definitely Jack. I don't know how to describe how it felt knowing that my son was at my graduation. Sure, my mom had him outside the sanctuary for most of the ceremony and he had no idea what was going on, but they were the first people I saw when I exited that room. His smile lifted my spirits higher than they already were. He thought my cap was pretty silly (and I have to agree with him).

After a morning of pomp and circumstance, followed by much social activity we were all pooped! While I had wanted to go to The Cheesecake Factory for dinner, come dinner time I did not want to leave the house. So, we put on our sweats and got Old Chicago pizza along with The Big Cookie for desert.

On Sunday we went to the park where Jack experienced cold water from the creek for the first time. His giggles on the blanket had us all captivated.

Oh! I also need to brag that on Sunday Jack signed for the first time! I have been signing "eat" and "mommy" to him for months. Yesterday he copied me! Sure he doesn't exactly know what he's doing, but who cares! He said mommy!

And on Sunday night at church Tim and I dedicated Jack to the Lord. That was both wonderful and difficult. While it is my deepest desire to trust Jack to Jesus, it is a battle to trust someone else to care for my son. That is a struggle I have with Tim. I think my way is the best way and I can be over critical of how Tim takes care of Jack. So can I really trust a God I cannot see to care for him? Can I really surrender Jack to God's will? I need His strength every day.

But it is this God to whom I am thankful. I am thankful for my family who loves and supports me. I am thankful for a husband who is proud of who I am. I am thankful for a son who brings joy into my life and who with only a smile can turn his cranky mommy into a happy morning person at 7am. I am thankful for a comfortable place to live while money is a struggle and for His daily provision. Most of all, I am thankful for His amazing love and that He sacrificed Himself so that we could have Life!

Lord, please bring Jack to know You as we know You. Please love Him and care for him. Use us as instruments of grace and love. Help us teach Jack about love, justice, grace, and peace. Most of all, help us teach him about You! Amen and amen.

2 comments:

  1. What great post Leah! You brought tears to my eyes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a good mama, daughter, wife... you name it, girl! Congratulations on your graduation. :)

    ReplyDelete